Wednesday, June 13, 2007

History of the Knitted Green Cardigan


People often ask "How long did it take you to knit that?" Instead, I think they should ask, "Where have you knitted that?" Let me illustrate by giving you the complete history of my knitted green cardigan.
Once upon a time in February there was a HUGE variegated ball of yarn on sale at Jo Anne's for $6.95. It was called a pound of love...and weighed one pound...which is a lot of variegated green yarn! I bought it. I had this much left AFTER knitting the whole sweater!


In March, I took Cole, the two-year old munchkin in nanny for, to play with the train set at Barnes and Noble...a knitting book caught my eye... it had a lovely raglan sweater pattern in it. I bought it.

In April, I worked out the calculations of the "gauge" required in Cole's bedroom while he fell asleep. Same place, next day, I started knitting. That weekend I spent many hours knitting it on our orange sofa (pictured above). Then I finished most of the body in a car on Sunday while traveling up to see the tulips. (We left the knitting in the car for this picture)

In May, I brought it with me on vacation to Florida, but never touched it there. I started the sleeves on the way out to Spokane.

I worked the sleeves at my Monday "reading night" with the girls, and finished them while on Jury duty in the Kent Regional Court House.

In June, I joined the sleeves to the body and started knitting the yoke while having coffee with my friend Debora. I fell asleep while knitting on the airplane to MA...several times! I finished the yoke on the bus from Boston to Hanover.

I finished all the ends and necklines with Grandma and Grandpa on the drive from Hanover to the Liberty Hill Farm.

If you look closely , you can see it on me down at the end of Aunt Beth's farmhouse table, warm and green!

It sure kept me happily ever snuggly on the plane home to Jonathan!
And that's the story of the sweater that took 4 months knit!

1 comment:

doro said...

that's a great story! i learned to knit while we were in vermont last year and haven't had time to do it in a while. i haven't gotten past making scarf after scarf yet. you are lucky, though. my husband won't let me knit in the car!!!

the sweater is beautiful!!