Saturday, March 12, 2011

…sick….

Charlie has had a yucky cold/cough/fever thing since Thursday.  He has been up 2-3 hours out of every night since then.  We are realizing how spoiled we have been.  Since he was six months old, he has always (even when sick) slept a solid eleven to twelve hours at night.  Pro:  it’s been reminding and preparing us of/for what it is like to have an infant in the house.  Con: we, especially Jonathan who takes the brunt of night wakings, are soooo tired! 

Charlie started out the morning today with a steam bath to help him decongest…as you can see it put him in the most cheerful of spirits:

Unfortunately, his energy was quickly gone.  By the afternoon his fever was up to 104 and all he could do was melt into the couch like a miserable coughing puddle of snot.   I called his doctor, who assures me it is a virus, so we’re riding it out with Tylenol, honey, Vicks vapor rub and lots of peanut butter crackers.  Pros: He is as snuggly as all get out when he’s sick and I loved getting to be a couch potato with him all afternoon.  Con:  If you sit close enough to snuggle, you are guaranteed several wet sneezes and coughs in your face.  (I guess I know what the state of my health is going to be next week!)IMG_2347editHe watched Elmo and Dora the Explorer all afternoon.  I was resisting this at first, and then Jonathan reminded me that one of the perks of being sick when you are kid is getting to watch lots and lots of TV.  Which is true.  And look at that face—who could resist “jus wun moyh, Mama, wun moyh”(“just one more”)—especially when it is said in a croaky cute little raspy voice? 

He rallied enough to eat five bites of smoked salmon before heading off to bed--much better than the 1/16 of a tortilla that was the entirety of last night’s supper.  Maybe we are on the mend?  Here’s to hoping we get a little more sleep tonight! 

2 comments:

Marc and Suzanne said...

So sorry you are sick, Charlie! Get well soon. And Charlie's mom, take care of yourself this week! love you both, and Jonathan, too!

Unknown said...

Awh, get well soon, Charlie! I hope you miss the brunt of it Keren!