Sunday, April 26, 2009

Instuction Manuals...anyone?


"Um, a little privacy here, please!"

So many times a day I find myself asking why Charlie is crying. Is he hungry? Dirty diaper? Is it gas? Is he tired, overstimulated, bored? Sometimes I have a gut instinct that knows exactly what is wrong, but most often the best I can do is to rule out one or two options, and guess about the others. Usually he stops crying again a little later and I ask the same questions all over again. What worked? was it the bouncing? the singing, swaying, being outside, eating? burping, clean diaper that made it better? There are, of course, no instruction manuals that come with babies. I've started learning to be content with Charlie's contentment and accept the fact that I will probably never know.

It occurred to me the other day that in spite of all our guessing at these un-answered questions, we have managed to keep Charlie alive. . . for 10 weeks so far! Definitely something to celebrate.

Life has started falling into a rhythm. Laundry on Monday and Friday~

"That's right, Mom, Zoom Zoom! Let's see you put a little more energy into getting me and the laundry up three flights of stairs."

We eat and sleep in rough three hour cycles around the clock. Charlie is the consummate cat napper...taking 45 min naps during the day. Last week he got his immunizations and surprised us with sleeping through several meal times. He was so complacent...until I figured out that he had a fever and gave him some baby Tylenol. Half an hour later, he was back to his grumpy-in-the-evening-and-voracious self.

Here he is showing off his battle scars. He was a trouper and stopped crying while the nurse was telling me that I could pick him up to comfort him!

We've started letting Charlie hold a rattle everyonce in a while...here are a few pictures from his very first attempt.





We also took Charlie to the park for the first time this weekend. He loved the swing...though he wasn't too good at staying up in yet. Here were a few fun expressions...




He also tried out the slide, but didn't seem too impressed...yet. We will give him some more time on that.

Jonathan and Charlie hanging out.

Our family!

5 comments:

Jen Gay said...

Oh Keren! I feel for you and the laundry! I remember those days with Grace. How can anyone expect any laundry to actually get washed? It was a miracle we had anything clean to wear.

I hear you on the keeping 'em alive thing. We're going on three years and I still wonder how we made this far. Maybe we'll still be saying that the day they graduate from college :)

Miss you Guys, Jen

nerissa said...

keren,

am always so happy everytime i check your blog and read something new about charlie.

i do understand that it's hard for babies to stop crying most of the time. kezhra was like that when she was that age..( your parents can attest to that..hehehe). but maybe, just maybe, it's only true for eldest kids, coz my 2nd right now (keira aleona) hardly cries! thanks god! bali iya kadaluman.

so sad don't have the time yet to upload pics of our new baby since am now back to work.

so am hoping by the time you'll have your second baby it will be a different story..hehehe..

my love to you jonathan and charlie


nerissa

Mama Elijah said...

Keren, I know exactly what you mean! During Elijah's first few months, I tried to figure out the whys behind everything he was doing, so that I could reproduce certain desired baby actions (happiness and sleep being two). I eventually realized that at least 50% of the time, whatever he was doing was entirely irrational and I had as much hope of affecting that behavior as I had of altering the moon's orbit. HOWEVER, about 50% of the time, I COULD do something about it, so even the question of whether to act was random. Ack!

Sleeping through the night was another behavior that was partially irrational. I tried making lists of sleep circumstances, and arranging his naptimes, and avoiding certain foods to encourage sleep at night... and a few things did actually seem to make a difference. But a good portion of the time, good sleep was entirely irrelevant to whatever I did. Oh well. I suppose we wouldn't want life to be too terribly predictable. :)

I hope you're enjoying your time with Charlie as much as I am with Elijah. They change so quickly -- it's sometimes hard to remember how he used to be. I treasure every day!

Kindra

Calia said...

Ummm...I use your blog (and a few others) as MY instruction manuals!! Good advice to be found from my friends who are a few months ahead of me in the game!

Love you!

Unknown said...

Hi Keren,
I so relate to the crying and sleep stuff. Ours was a very rough ride, and I have infinite sympathy for parents with crying babies who take their time with getting into a long sleep schedule. I am going to take a risk here with some unsolicited advice. There is a book (I know, everyone has a book, it can be pretty annoying!) that really resonated with me that suggests that crying is really OK and babies need to be held, but no always soothed. I spent so much of my life for the first 8 months bouncing, shaking, rocking, etc. I later realized that she probably actually needed to do some real crying, rather than being pacified constantly. Anyway, the book is by Aletha Solter and is called "Tears and Tantrums." There is another one by her that I haven't read all the way through, since we were past the baby stage when I found out about her, it's called "The Aware Baby."
You can also read about some of my experiences in this department here:
http://bloggyfamily.blogspot.com/2007/09/how-does-crying-child-make-you-feel-i.html

You're a great mom even when your baby is crying!!!